Monday, February 18, 2008

INTRODUCING E-SAY


Recently I read an article on what makes a successful blog. I went through the checklist of three:
1. Keep blogs to 300 words or less.
2. Do not include cutesy pictures.
3. Write every day.

Clearly I have failed all three. My shortest blog was 800 words, longest over 2,000, and they are usually in the 1,200 to 1,400-word range. I like pictures and am an admitted softie for cutesy dog ones. I last wrote on January 6 and today is February 18 (points for both dates being in the same year).

According to the author of the article, I am completely on the wrong track. If I tighten up the wordage and write more often (I’m keeping the pics, they make me laugh), then the formula predicts I will have more readers and they will come more often (unless they are turned off by the said pics). I suppose that makes sense and is important information to know, maybe I could even experiment with the ideas, but I’d have to keep such ramblings like this particular sentence out because I’m already to 186 words. So I keep the pics, some rambling, and most importantly, I now officially change the name from blog to e-(s)ay. Because, really, these are essays not little tid-bits. I’m not made for the changing world. I still like erasers though I have grown overly dependent on spell-check and I wonder if Google has become our collective memory. They could do some weird shit to us (252, not good, 255).

Here is my plan. I will write my wordy e-says and cut them into bite-size (no pun intended, I’m not that kind of clever) parts, and I will post more often, maybe every day. Numbered, serial e-says. Okay? Better be, I’m out of words. 300

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun to catch up with you this way! I felt like you were right here in my living room!
Sending love,
vs

Anonymous said...

Marilyn,


300 words? Every day? You my friend are far too interesting of a writer to limit yourself to soundbites. Keep those occasional missives coming at whatever interval and word count you need to to tell your story.


I am inspired by those who face their fears, whether they are riders on my cycletours who pedal higher, longer or faster than they thought possible, or your story of dancing. Being of solid peasant stock, I can relate. Might you be a potential polka partner? See you at Oktoberfest.


Linda G.

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs, e-says, rambles...whatever you want to call them. And shoot, as far as I can see, the only important things worth saying are either under or over 300 words--the inbetweens are just part of the....whoops out of characters! Sorry

Anonymous said...

Do not cut back on words or cute pix on my account. :)

Thanks--I love reading about and seeing your life. Just miss you, is all.

Anonymous said...

I want to live in your neighborhood with the fairies!

I checked out Capital City Perks online--perfect! If they need a source of really good antique trade bead jewelry, they should contact my sister, B.

Keep the news coming!

P

P.S. Had a meeting with Todd Rasberry yesterday, and we realized we both get your RS News and love it.